Norfolk Parent Partnership Logo
Norfolk Parent Partnership
 Home  spacer  Jargon Buster  spacer  Contact Us  spacer  Feedback  spacer  Site Map line spacer Policies Search:   Search Site 
Who Are We?
Notice Board
Useful Links
Independent Parental Supporters
Print This Page

Link to facebook
Jargon Buster
A, B, C D, E, F G, H, I J, K, L
M, N, O P, Q, R S, T, U, V W, X, Y, Z
Boy Thinking
Educational settings often use abbreviations and words that are hard to understand.
Listed below are some explanations for commonly used terms.
Department for Children, Schools & Families (DCFS)   The Government Department with responsibility for children, schools and families.
Disagreement Resolution Service (Mediation)  

Arrangments to help resolve disagreements between parents of a child with special educational needs and the LA or a school. An independent mediator brings together the two parties in an informal way to try and resolve the disagreement through discussion. Using these arrangments is voluntary and does not in any way affect a parent's right of appeal to the SEN Tribunal or elsewhere.

Early Education Settings All pre-school education provision such as nurseries and playgroups
Early Years Action

When the early education practitioner who works day to day with a child, or the special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) identifies that a child has specal educational needs. They can plan interventions that are additional to or different from those provided as part of the setting's usual curriculum and strategies. An Individual Education Plan (IEP) will usually be written.

Early Years Action Plus

When the early years education practitioner and the SENCO are provided with advice or support from outside specialists. Alternative interventions additional to or different from strategies provided for the child through Early Years Action will be put in place. A new IEP will usually be written.

Early Years Development and Childcare Partnerships

  A partnership developed to work with the LA to look at the number of nursery places and prepare early years development plans.

Educational Psychologist (EP)

  A professional with educational psychology qualifications who will assess a child's special educational needs and give advice to schools. The LA has its own EPs but there are also independent EPs.
Emotional, Behavioural and Social Difficulties   This describes a child whose behaviour impedes his/her educational progress and is persistent over a significant period of time.
English Language Support Service Teacher  

A teacher who gives in-class help to children who speak other languages and are learning English.

Foundation Stage  

This is the name given to the curriculum for children from the age of three until the end of the reception year



Back to Top of Page